Candy Kling, Founder. CM KLING + ASSOCIATES.

History

Candace Kling founded C. M. Kling & Associates, Inc. in 1980. After a 43-year career in the lighting industry, she passed away in 2013.

In 1999, David Ghatan joined the firm and worked under Candy’s mentorship for 14 years. At her passing, David assumed the role as President and, today, continues to expand the firm’s vision. In 2017, CM KLING + ASSOCIATES moved into newly renovated offices in Old Town Alexandria, VA.

 

Remembering Candy Kling

Candace “Candy” Kling founded the firm with a vision for high-end architectural lighting design in the Washington D.C. metro area, specializing in hospitality, religious and government projects. CM KLING received a GE Lighting award in 1991 for the Washington National Cathedral facade design. She oversaw a variety of notable projects throughout her career, including the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington and BC Place Stadium in Vancouver, B.C.

A Philadelphia native, Candace Mary Kling became involved in stage lighting during high school. She accepted a lighting internship in New York with the theatrical lighting design pioneer, Jean Rosenthal, whose work on Broadway included productions of West Side Story (1957), Fiddler on the Roof (1964) and Caberet (1966). Throughout Candy’s career, Rosenthal’s influence remained significant and is part of CM KLING’s mission, today.

Candy was deeply involved in design and arts communities. In 2010, she was inducted into the International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) College of Fellows and served as a judge for the IALD International Lighting Design Awards. She served on the board of Marymount University’s interior design school. She was a charter member of the National Museum of Women in the Arts in the District.